Recently, airfare/hotel search engine Kayak.com has made a change that I’ve wanted for a long time: a weekend fare finder. There is now an option to be notified about the cheapest upcoming weekend flights to and from any destination. To many travelers, it doesn’t matter when the deal is good – It just matters that it’s a weekend trip.
This feature is great because it doesn’t bug you about Tuesday morning flights like other fare alert engines.
I’ve already used this option successfully to find some decent flights from Portland to here. I didn’t care what weekend Minh came and visited, I just cared that he got a good deal.
How Do I Use it?
- First, you need to be a member of Kayak.com. You can register here.
- Log in to your account
- After that, click on the Fare Alerts link on the front page.
- It will then prompt you to create a new alert. Put in your airports/cities, and under the “Leaving” section, choose the “Upcoming Weekends” section.
- Create as many other alerts as you like. Come visit me (LAX)!
- Sit back and wait for the weekly e-mails. Eventually you will start to recognize the good price breaks, and hopefully it’s on a weekend that’s convenient for both parties.
- Don’t forget to use flexible dates and expand the search if you can possibly get a better deal.
So far, I have alerts set up for flights to and from Austin, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Portland, Providence, and Boston. After a couple of weeks, you can start to differentiate the sweet deals.
Be patient, and happy traveling!
By Lon March 29, 2007 - 2:25 pm
Ahhhh, how sweet, you are flying the prime Minhister down for a weekend. I’m next! BTW, you have got to get tabs working on this site!